Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Juggling in 3D 397: Extreme Listening

Jeremy and Claire enjoyed meeting some of you at the CABE meeting in the City last week where Claire talked about Listening.

Claire writes: "As someone who doesn't know what they're thinking until they speak, I was delighted this morning to receive notes taken at the listening talk. Now I know more about what I said than the mindmap I had in my pocket! I also know how it landed with another person.

Listening is an interesting skill. We all have it - to some extent or another. And most of us are highly trained and skilled at one small part of listening: the CEO who listens for direction and to fix, the health professional who listens to diagnose, the lawyer who listens for evidence, the child who listens for a way to get you to say yes. And when we listen for something, we're not actually hearing what the person is saying as our listening sieve is holding the things we are listening for and letting the rest go through. Listening to understand happens at a much deeper level and is incredibly powerful. Try it! Try listening to someone else without thinking about what you will say next, without thinking how it connects with your own story, and without judgement or diagnosis. I'd love to hear what you discover.

Extreme listening like this can transform the way people think and act. It's a gift. (PS I may be able to listen at work but ask my family and they'll tell you I don't carry the skills home!)"
Love this? Do us a favour and send it to five people. Who thinks like you? You could send it to someone who you think is a great listener... or not!

Discuss this week's juggling at http://www.3dcoaching.blogspot.com/
(c) 2008 3D Coaching Ltd

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Extreme listening hit the nail on the head for me. One paragraph also reminded me of a friend who sadly dieda few years ago; atrick Kendall-Jones. He was a trainer and NLP practitioner when I met him and orginally I did not warm to him. One evening he invited me to dinner and as I sat there drinking a gin & tonic I could hear him arguing with his wife in the kitchen. When he came back into the sitting room he confessed that all the skills and techniques he used in his business life did not work for him domestically. From that point I warmed to him; he became my mentor and friend. It was an honour to know Patrick.

Edward Chapman