3D Juggling 522: No Place at Uni?
Jane writes: "Simon Dolan is worth £70m. He was a bright child, but couldn’t see the point of most of the subjects he had to study and was asked to leave school at 15. He says that there’s a big lie going round, the one that says you stand a better chance of getting a good job if you have a degree. Of course there are some professions that absolutely require years at university, but there are many that do not, and many ways to gain professional qualifications and credibility whilst working.
Our experience of working with people who don’t know what they want to do next fits well with some of Simon’s tips:
1. Think niche (for Simon doing VAT returns wasn’t niche, doing it just for IT contractors was)
2. Talk to interesting people who are doing interesting stuff
3. Don’t spend weeks on a detailed business plan
4. Don’t borrow lots of money
5. If you’re the parent of a young person with an idea for a business – get behind it
Think about it..."
We work with young people seeking their way in life, people who have got ‘stuck’ in roles or organisations that just don’t suit them anymore, people who find themselves without work, and others who just don’t know what they want to do. All our ideas are available free on the website or come to one of our workshops.
© 2011 3D Coaching Ltd
May be distributed freely. Please retain contact details: www.3dcoaching.com and send a copy/ link to firstname.lastname@example.org