Tuesday, March 10, 2009

3D Juggling 421: Silos or salaries

It was great to see so many of you at One Life this weekend, where some of you met Clare Townsend, the newest member of the 3D Team. Clare will also be joining us at Spring Harvest in Skegness (Week 2).

Clare writes: "I made a change to my career about 5 months ago; I left the comfort of a career I had been in for about 18 years. It was a stressful job, but safe in terms of salary. I am now doing a job I enjoy significantly more, using skills I gained volunteering! This part time option is also providing me with time and money to stretch and develop my coaching skills. The majority of the coaching work is currently for no fee (I am a bit of a rookie!). The paid job is a means to filling the gap while the children need me around. It provides the pennies we need to pay the mortgage, swimming and tennis lessons, and the other usual household bills. Although the coaching I am doing isn't filling the moneybox, it is adding to my skills, experience and contacts.

Making changes can require some sacrifices, but maybe we need to start looking at work as more than a way of filling the money silo. The time spent building up the skills silo can provide the springboard from which a salary can come in the future. That's how Claire started out, too.

Are there skills or strengths that you could be working on now from which you can harvest benefit in the future when time, money or circumstances allow you to be more flexible to make a change? Could your volunteering choices be part of a strategy to gain the skills needed to make a change? Are you just working for a salary silo or to build up the silos from which your future will come?"

Love this? Do us a favour and send it to five people. Who thinks like you? You could send it to someone who is living in a gap.

Discuss this week's juggling at http://www.3dcoaching.blogspot.com/

© 2009 3D Coaching Ltd May be distributed freely. Please retain contact details: www.3dcoaching.com and send a copy/ link to info@3dcoaching.com

No comments: