Friday, October 23, 2009

3D Juggling 450: My new man

Welcome to Su Blanch, our newest team member. Su is a facilitator and trainer and has a background in HR with extensive experience in Pharma. Claire is joining Tim Skipper today for 20 miles of his canal walk from Milton Keynes to Welshampton to raise money for The Severn Hospice. If you'd like to cheer her on by sponsoring Tim, the link is http://www.justgiving.com/SHcanalotto2/

Lynn now has new man in her life. Her elder son Loren has hit 18 and if it has brought new challenges to the household.

Lynn writes “When Loren quite rightly demands to be treated as an adult, at times he is a little boy learning. We recently had a visit to the doctor's followed by organisation of an x ray and in the same day an appointment at the bank.Loren asked me to come with him on all three visits and I expected the usual routine of going in with him and leading the talking. He had other ideas. At the doctors he asked me to wait in the waiting room. The telephone call organising the x-ray had me in the room. Finally at the bank I was invited into the room and included.

Afterwards he thought I was cross with him. In fact I was confused about my role. It is right and proper that he takes control of his life but why was I at the doctors and in the room for the phone call? And having done those what was different at the bank?

Once we talked it became clear that he is in transition and that he needs to build his confidence. Thus Mum close by means he can take risks with backup, ask if he needs to, but have a go first.

How often with staff do we take their asking as a need for solution? I wonder how often people I managed would have been able to “have a go” if I had simply been close by?

Lauren taught me a valuable lesson about supporting and not solving as Jacob Bronowski, Mathematician and Biologist said: “We are all afraid for our confidence, for the future, for the world. That is the nature of the human imagination. Yet every man, every civilization, has gone forward because of its engagement with what it has set itself to do.”

Love this? Do us a favour and send it to five people. Who thinks like you? You could send it to someone who needs simply to be close by.

Discuss this week's juggling at http://www.3dcoaching.blogspot.com/


© 2009 3D Coaching Ltd
May be distributed freely. Please retain contact details: www.3dcoaching.com and send a copy/ link to info@3dcoaching.com

No comments: