Last Monday, the UK government announced a £6 billion cut in public spending. As a result, we are a offering free place at our Career Makeover event on 5 June to anyone whose job is at risk as a result of that announcement.
Claire writes: 'The fallout from the recession is still affecting the private sector. Cuts in public funding will mean that the public sector is also in for a stormy future. How do you lead in a time of uncertainty?
We were thinking about this a few days ago and playing with the idea of swimming safely in a stormy sea:
- Which waves do you choose to ride, which do you avoid?
- Where is the lifeguard?
- What was your lifejacket look like?
- How do you learn to swim with the tide and keep safe?
- Where are the most helpful channels and currents?
- Who else is in the water with you? Panicking swimmers can pull others down. Sharks circle groups of people, rather than attacking them.
- If you're going to be in the water for a long time, do you need a wetsuit? Or goose fat?
- What you need to do now to make sure there will be a lifeguard on the beach?
In the sea, you identify and draw on whatever resources are available to remain safe, and try to travel to land effectively. What resources can you identify and draw on now to remain effective in your organisation? Other people need to absorb some of the work which will need to continue post-cuts. What needs to happen to manage that in a way which honours the work, the staff, and the customer?
How rough is your sea?'
Love this? If this is the reality in your organisation and you'd like to talk about how to support staff through the transition, call us and we can meet for a coffee. It's on us!
Discuss this week's juggling at http://www.3dcoaching.blogspot.com/
© 2010 3D Coaching Ltd
May be distributed freely. Please retain contact details: www.3dcoaching.com and send a copy/ link to firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow us on Twitter 3dclaire
Facebook 3D Coaching